Writing Hits with Jony Rockstar offers you an exclusive insight into how to craft hits in today's professional studio environment. The video tutorials for this course feature live action footage from the studio of Jony Rockstar as he writes a song with up and coming vocalist Miss D. Jony has written, produced and remixed hits for Sugababes, Amy Winehouse and Alicia Keys among others and developed this course with us to share his secrets with you. Over four weeks you'll take an in-depth look at professional studio-based songwriting techniques along with essential music theory. With the emphasis on hooks and finishing your work, watch Jony and Miss D in the studio as they create a brand new song, explaining their techniques to you at each stage of the process. Using live action, screen capture footage and Point Blank online music school’s unique DVR™ video feedback system, you will work alongside a professional writer to create your own song by the end of the course. An unprecedented insight into how top class producer/writers get the job done!
Includes a minimum of 240 mins video / regular x DVR™ (1-2-1 video feedback)/ 4 hours live masterclasses /1 year access / over 80 pages of course notes / 24/7 access to forum / exclusive audio resources to download. Optional: sign your track to Point Blank Music distributed by iTunes, beatport, Juno Download and Amazon.
Building Your Backing Track
- Referencing songs: analysing styles and tempo
- Starts with a beat: drum loops and editing
- Music theory: basic scales and chords
- Song key: chord progressions and patterns
- Choice of chord progression for song
Finishing Your Backing Track
- Role of the bass: add a bassline to your chords
- Song structure: the role of each section
- Structure, commercial music and radio play
- Finalising chord pattern, basic arrangement
- Adding 'personality’ to your track
Lyrics and Melody
- Writing a melody: analysis of different types
- Working with singers: developing a melodies
- Subject matter: where to find inspiration
- Choosing a title: tips and techniques
- Lyrics: song and rhyming structures
Finishing Your Song
- Recording the vocal: how to work with a singer
- Recording vocals in the studio: different sections
- How to 'comp' vocals for a master vocal track
- Tracking vocals, adding harmonies
- Final arrangement, dynamics, levels, critical listening, how to move forward with your song
Rafael Aguilar Course rating: 8/10
the videos were extremely helpful, i was just kind of disappointed with myself for not being able to finish the assignments on time, but seeing the process and the feedback from jony was great.
Alen Vrecer Course rating: 10/10
Mo Akin Course rating: 8/10
The course was good. I have learnet alot from the notes and the reviews. Now I know what areas I need to work on further. Still have a long way to go but I hope I get there as I keep working my songwriting utilizing the materials from this course.
helena ishac Course rating: 9/10
This was a very good course. unfortunatly, there we're not a lot of students during the summer time, making the group discussion more one on one question and answers. I would have like to listen to other people's work.
Plus having 1 week to work on assignements is not always easy especially when we have a busy working schedual.
But globaly i am very happy with what i've learned and i am looking forward to my next class!!
Pia Dean Course rating: 10/10
This was my first taste of an online course, but it definitely worked for me being able to work at your own pace & in your own time.
The additional bonus was having a tutor who actually works in the music industry & be able to tap into his knowledge & experience.
Learnt lots & thorughly enjoyed it, recommended!