- This course is compatible with both Logic Pro and Ableton Live
Electronic Music Composition 2 (EMC²), is the natural progression from EMC, taking you further along your creative pathway. We continue to demonstrate how classic and cutting edge tunes are put together and sometimes break the 'rules'. EMC² explains the tricks of the trade, building on what you learnt from EMC and getting more in depth: extending your knowledge of musical theory; deconstructing BIG tunes to see what makes them work; how to get vocals into your work and examining the different approaches to writing that will help keep you inspired and prolific. EMC² is developed by virtuoso keyboardist Ski Oakenfull. It contains presentation techniques that enable you to see exactly what's being played on the keys and what's happening in the software/DAW. To enrol on this course you need to have taken EMC. If you want to take both you should consider enrolling on the EMC Professional Course Program and save some cash. See you in class!
Includes a minimum of 240 mins video / frequent DVR™ (1-2-1 video feedback)/ 4 hours live masterclasses /1 year access / over 80 pages of course notes / 24/7 access to forum / exclusive audio resources to download.Optional: sign your track to Point Blank Music distributed by iTunes, beatport, Juno Download and Amazon.
Extending Musical Theory
- General EMC1 Recap
- Mixing Major & Minor Chords, Slash Chords & Right hand Inversions
- Breaking the rules with clashes and notes not in the scale
- Working with Intervals and Chord Riffs
- Extended Scale Theory - Modes & Alternative Minors
- More about Chord Progressions - Dominant 7ths
- Extracting Feel - Making it Funky
Track Analysis : Massive Tunes
- Analyzing big tracks
- Including Avicii / Skrillex / Deadmau5 / X-Press2 / Julio Bashmore
- Breakdown of Analysis Process
- Arrangement techniques
- The musical elements: how do they work?
- Creating a structure template of each track to apply to your own compositions
- Download projects containing bassline; chords; melodies; riffs; structure
- How to take a track, get it in time and define the sections
- Analyse a track of your choice in your DAW
- Interpolating parts and focusing on arrangement
Approaches to Writing, Instrumentation & Finishing
- Starting with samples; playing/singing over other tracks to create new parts
- Setting boundaries & following formulas
- Recreating other tracks (interpolation); working with musical samples
- Working loops & samples (includes free downloadable sample pack)
- Using keyboard/guitar to write chord sequence; writing with someone else
- Remix approach: writing different music underneath an acapella
- Using instrumentation to build up your track; strings; brass
- Further arrangement techniques: creative drum programming
- Analysing tracks' arrangements; applying these templates to your own tracks
Vocals & Collaborating
- A look at how vocals are used in Electronic music
- Getting a vocal onto your track; different choices and methods
- Sing it themselves; use a Vocoder; work with a singer; chop up an acapella
- We provide acapellas to work with; getting an acapella in tune & time
- Using a vocal sample or phrase as a starting point
- Writing your own vocal top line (just hook - not full song)
- Approaching a vocalist; developing your idea with someone else
- Producer/composer skills when working with vocalists
- Full vocal dance tracks
- Vocal recording process; other vocal techniques: harmonies; ad libbing
- Collaborating with other artists/producers/friends
Jennifer Yates Course rating: 10/10
Brilliant course/program. Ski is amazing at distilling technical musical concepts in a short amount of time....I can't believe so much information on musical composition is presented in only four weeks. The timeline can definitely be stretched out for EMC 1 and 2 at six weeks each. There is so much material. It's really great to see people are interested in this topic/technique and that it has taken off so well! Keep it up!
Alexander Eremeev Course rating: 10/10
Ski is an excellent tutor. I am glad I've had EMC1 & EMC2 tutored by Ski. I like the way he teaches. He was good with a rocket-speed answers to all my questions). Pls, develop a Producer / Vocalist FORUM at PB online. It's so actual !!!
Warm regards, Alex
Christopher Jimenez Course rating: 10/10
Amazing course... first few lessons are pure gold.
unpawsd Course rating: 10/10
Once again Tom was brilliant! I've thoroughly enjoyed both of his courses. I also really liked that this course gave me the gentle push I needed to get into vocal recording. :-)
Guto Potter Course rating: 9/10
EMC 2 rocked the place, covering amazing materials, giving me a perfect continuation for EMC! Point Blank did it again, proving why it's the best.
Ben Fabricius Course rating: 9/10
I enjoyed this course even more than EMC1 as it goes a lot deeper into musical theory than the first part and covers a lot of ways to write music. Both Ski and Steve were great tutors, I especially enjoyed getting introduced to alternative ways of writing music in the course notes and masterclasses.
Bruno Dominguez Bascones Course rating: 10/10
Amazing course, very sklilled tutors and fast feedback with them... Congrats...
Ruben de la Huerta Course rating: 10/10
Another fantastic course here at PB. Ski did an outstanding job developing part 2 of the EMC, loved the videos with him and Valerie E. great insight at what is like to work with a vocalist. Tom is an amazing tutor. Extremely knowledgable and bringing a fresh perspective into the course.