So the end of another year has arrived and our tutorials on youtube have remained popular as ever. The Point Blank channel has gone from strength to strength with over 9,000 new subscribers over the course of the year. To celebrate this, we’ve done a roundup of the 10 most viewed youtube tutorials for 2011. Watch the top 10 below and subscribe to our channel for many more great free tutorials.
10. ‘Cubase 6 – New Look Quantize’ – 18,823 views. This was an one of the early 2011 videos, going up on 19th January. Danny J Lewis looks into the new Quantize setup in Cubase 6 – Taken from our Cubase Course.
9. ‘Cubase 6 – Halion Sonic SE Multi Timbral and Multi Output Configuration’ – 19,573 views. Danny J Lewis explores the potential of the Halion Sonic Se Synth – Cubase Courses.
8. ‘Logic 9 Tutorial – Editing audio with Flex Time’ – 26,732 views. The first Logic video in this lineup. Producer Paul Waller talks us through Logic’s Flex Time feature – from the Logic Course.
7. ‘How to Make Dubstep part 2/5 – Redux Bass in Ableton’ – 27,461 views. Jonny Miller looks at different techniques of using Ableton’s Redux effect on bass – part of the Ableton Live Dubstep Course.
6. ‘Logic Tutorial – Minimal / Tech house’ – 30,617 views. Even more impressive when you consider that this video was actually uploaded at the beginning of 2009, but still managed to make it into 2011′s top 10 most viewed! Danny J Lewis demonstrates the techniques of the genre in Logic Pro – Logic Minimal Techno Course.
5. ‘Logic Tutorial – Final Mixdown – Deep & Soulful House’ – 31,561 views. This one is an extract from a DVR – student Nick Frattaroli’s final mixdown on the Deep and Soulful House course. Danny J Lewis runs through Nick’s tune.
4. ‘Ableton Tutorial – Minimal Tech House’ – 37,252 views. One from the archives – uploaded in 2008. Still proving extremely popular though and clocking in at number 4. Danny J Lewis demonstrates how to achieve a glitchy, gated vocal effect for the Minimal Techno in Ableton Course.
3. ‘Using Compression – Mixing Techniques’ – 39,038 views. Danny J Lewis defines the terms, threshold, ratio and gain reduction to help explain the basic techniques of compression – part of the Mixing Dance Music in Logic Course.
2. ‘Ableton Tutorial – Minimal / Tech House Course – Good final project’ – 43,777 views. A behind the scenes look at a student project on the Ableton Minimal online Class at Point Blank. DJ Nayrobi built this track using many of the techniques covered on the four week course.
1. ‘How to Make Dubstep part 1/5 – Beat Warping in Ableton’ – 52,722 views. This year’s winner. Jonny Miller (Jus’Listen/Sonarpilot Audio) demonstrates how to use warp markers to twist, stretch and mangle beats into your own unique Dubstep sound – part of the Dubstep in Ableton Course.
So Cubase still making an impact, Logic holding steady but Ableton ruling the roost. What do you think? Were you surprised by the results? And what are your predictions for next year?
Keep up to date with all of Point Blank’s news, tutorials and giveaways by subscribing to our Youtube channel, or following us on Facebook and Twitter… and if you have something to say about this post, start the conversation with a comment below. Thanks!